Monday, January 10, 2011

Newbery shocker!

What?? Glee: The Beginning isn't even an honor book? I know! Shocking. And I wouldn't have even brought it up (mostly because a novel based on a TV show that's successful due to the fabulous musical numbers doesn't have much to offer -- even if it does include a "Gleetastic Poster Inside"), but when we received ALA's spring 2011 graphics catalog in the office, and I saw this:

I remembered that I'd promised Katie I'd write something about the damn book. The trouble is, as much as I love the show (or loved the show -- I think it's lost its way) and the characters, I can't get past the first few pages of the novel. Exhibit A:
"Rachel Berry paused outside the door to Principal Figgin's office just long enough to straighten her kneesocks and smooth down the sides of her corduroy skirt. Her bright white button-down and pink-and-green argyle sweater-vest seemed to scream overachiever..."
I rest my case.

-- Kitty Flynn

No comments:

Post a Comment